Growing Seed Sprouts / Fodder For Poultry

To grow seed sprouts for my chickens I use ice cream buckets. I use 2 buckets per batch. The first bucket (inside bucket) I have drilled several 1/8” holes through the bottom to act as a strainer. Then I place the strainer bucket inside the 2nd bucket (which has no holes). The bottom bucket helps prevent big water messes if you do this work inside the house.















Next I cover the bottom of the inner bucket (strainer bucket) with about ¾” of seeds (I use oats). Afterwards I fill the buckets with water until seeds are covered with the water. Let them soak for a couple hours. Then remove the inner bucket and let water drain from seeds. Don’t be afraid to shake the straining bucket to help excess water to drain.  Also dump the water from the bottom bucket. Then place buckets back together.















Now place the bucket in a warm area.  Sun is not needed until seeds germinate. After 24 hours separate straining bucket from bottom bucket and rinse seeds with water. Make sure they all get a good bath. Let water drain and place buckets back together.  I repeat this process with the rinsing everyday, unless the seeds still look damp. If they are still pretty damp I skip watering for that day.  To much water will cause mold.













 Use your judgement on how tall you want the seeds to get before feeding to chickens. I usually wait about a week. Then I cut it into chunks to minimize fighting. When you feed this cake to your chickens, act fast and get out of their way. They will love it! It's a great treat anytime of the year. I know our girls love it on those snowy days when they can't get out of the coop.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building A Ohio Brooder For Chicks

Why I Prefer Poly Braid Over Other Portable Fencing