Why I Prefer Poly Braid Over Other Portable Fencing

I've been practicing different forms of rotational grazing for 5 years now and over this time I've experimented with several types of portable fencing. I've used poly tape, poly wire and have finally settled with poly braid. The reason I have settled with the poly braid is it's strength but before I go into too much detail, lets breakdown the other portable fencing cons.


What is poly fencing? 
Poly fence is a polythene string or line, these strings are either twisted, braided or woven together to make a bigger much heavier line/rope. Woven in the poly fences is metal wires that carry the fence load making the fence hot. If you look closely at the picture below, you can see the metal wires.


Poly Tape
Poly tape is woven which makes it very durable. The problem I have with it is that it collects too much rain/ snow because of it's width and once it gets heavy is begins to sag, sometime until it's reaches the ground, which shorts out the fence. For this reason, If I do use it then it's during the summer months only. One thing nice about poly tape is it's ability to be untied very easily and it's strength. Poly tapes come in several different widths and colors. 




Poly Wire
Poly wire is a fine polythene string that is twisted together making it very weak in my opinion. My issues with twisted poly wire is that eventually it gets snagged on things in the pasture and it start shredding. Unless you have picture perfect pastures, I would avoid this stuff. Once the wires breaks in the poly wire it creates dead spots and livestock get out.






Poly Braid
This is my personal favorite. Our farm by no means have perfect pasture conditions, we have places multi-flora roses grow and some that grow briers, these area are hard on the previously listed wires. For instance, roses bushes and briers will shred twist poly wire in no time flat as where poly braid is not affected as it travels across this same terrain. This is due to the tight braid of the polythene strings. This is my 3rd roll of poly braid and I love this stuff. I have had the 1st roll for well over 2 years and it still has not snags or tears and that my friends says volumes to me. I think we have all heard the saying "The proof is in the pudding".




Where Do I Get My Poly Braid
PowerFlex Fence Supply: https://powerflexfence.com/collections/powerflex-polybraid

Comments

  1. when tie off some braid wire on the what appears to be a perimeter fense,obviously that is a hot wire since you don't use and insulator.
    is that one of your fenses?
    do you run your charger around the entire place,use a 120 v for power,and simply mark off sections with the braid electric.
    Where do you put weaned cattle.Normal fense and feed them hay or a grazing paddock?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Building A Ohio Brooder For Chicks